Followers

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Fear Leads to Life

Recently, I decided to do Bible roulette. Not the typical way I read the Bible, but I felt the need to just let God guide me this time. Anyway, after saying a prayer I opened my Bible to see what I needed to read that morning. It opened to Proverbs 19:23.

"The fear of the Lord leads to life, an he who has it will abide in satisfaction; 
He will not be visited with evil." (NKJV)

Of course, the version I read was the NIV:

"The fear of the Lord leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by trouble."

But after looking at a few translations, I found the NKJV was the one I preferred. I think because of the word "evil" being used.

So, I then decided to do a quick word study and looked up the following words: fear, life, satisfaction, abide. Here's what I found:

fear (Hebrew = yir'ah) - reverence

life (Hebrew = chay) - alive

satisfaction
  • this word gave me some difficulty as the Strong's only showed  2 occurrences in the book of Numbers. So I went a little further and found another word.
  • satisfied (Hebrew = wabea (saw-bay'-ah)) - satiated
  • of course I then looked up satiated (Hebrew = ravah) - make drunk; fill; soak
abide (Hebrew - lun liyn (loon leen)) - continue; dwell; endure

So from this I got the following:

Reverence of the Lord leads to being alive; and he who has it will continue to be satiated;
He will not be visited with evil.


I am finding that by doing word studies the Bible begins to make better sense to me as I read it. After watching "The War Room" (for the second time), I realise that I need to be more studious in my reading of the Word. I need to read the parallel verses. I need to do word studies. I want and need to be ALIVE in Christ.

Maybe I should let Him guide me ALWAYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment