Followers

Monday, January 26, 2015

Love is patient...



Have you ever read this verse and wondered what does this mean? The more I read and study the Bible, the more questions I have. Especially as I find myself lacking patience waiting on the Lord to show me His will for my life. I was told that one way to study is to break down each verse. Chew on the adjectives, if you will. Like the word "patient" describing "love". What I have found is interesting in and of itself.

I first looked up the terms for the different forms of "love" as found in the Bible. There is "agape" which is the very nature of God - an action, "phileo" or having affection for (not to be confused with "eros"), and "storge" which is familial love & affection. Understanding that this verse is speaking more to the action of love, I moved on to understand the word "patient".

This is what I found. Patient, or hupomone (hoop-om-o-nay) in Greek, is being willing to wait. Another term used in the Bible is "long-suffering" or patient endurance; patiently bearing difficulties or wrongs. I also looked at some of the synonyms: forbearing and tolerant. Forbearing is to be tolerant or patient in spite of provocation and tolerant is marked by forbearance or endurance.

I find myself feeding into provocation thereby being unforbearing and impatient.

A trait I need to work on with the grace and strength of God.

Why do I write about this topic? Well, not just to inform you, my readers, but to help me put some perspective on storms happening in my life right now. I won't bore you with details. Just know that when one begins to grow their relationship with the Lord, the devil comes out in full force. And he sure has with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment